Apple today unveiled iOS 17, a major update that improves the communication experience across Phone FaceTime, Phone, and messages; makes sharing more simple via AirDrop and offers better-quality input that increases your speed of writing and precision. iOS 17 also introduces new experiences using Journal the app that allows users to develop gratitude. It also introduces StandBy is a brand new method to see information that is easily readable when the iPhone is shut down and charged.
“With iOS 17, we’ve created an iPhone more user-friendly and personal by examining the features that we rely on each all day long,” stated Craig Federighi the Apple’s senior vice-president for Software Engineering. “Phone and FaceTime as well as messages are the primary way we communicate, and this update includes a host of updates that we believe our customers will love. We’ve also reinvented AirDrop with fresh methods of sharing, and autocorrect is even better and we’re adding brand-new experiences using Journal and StandBy and many more. We’re excited for all users to experience it.”
Major improvements for the phone Experience
The Phone application is the heart of the iPhone experience. It gets a major update that includes personalized Contact Posters that offer an innovative way for users to communicate with their friends. The user can customize how they appear, giving a totally fresh look to calls. They can also choose stunning designs for Memoji or photos and also catchy fonts and typography. Contact Posters will also be accessible to third-party calling applications.
Live Voicemail allows users to have the option of viewing live transcription when someone leaves an audio message, as well as the possibility of picking up when the caller has left their message. If a call is deemed to be spam by carriers will not show in the form of Live Voicemail, and will instead be immediately rejected. Thanks to Neural Engine Neural Engine, Live Voicemail transcription is performed on the device and remains completely private.
FaceTime adds audio and video Reactions, Messages, and extends to Apple TV
FaceTime now supports video and audio messages, giving users an option to communicate with those not available immediately and share messages that can be seen later.
Calls can also become more expressive by activating effects like balloons, hearts, fireworks, laser beams and rain with simple gestures – these new effects being particularly useful for video calling apps that offer third-party support.
Apple TV 4K now brings FaceTime into the largest screen in your home with ease thanks to Continuity Camera’s video calling features, enabling users to make video calls either directly via Apple TV, or start calling from their iPhone and transfer them onto Apple TV – perfect for seeing loved ones on television! And thanks to Center Stage users will always be able to frame their videos perfectly even as they move about the room!
A New Look and Huge Updates to messages
Messages receives significant improvements with iOS 17. This includes the brand-new experience for stickers with new emojis and the possibility of creating Live Stickers by removing subjects from photographs. The user can also apply effects to Live Stickers which make them more lively as well as a new drawer on the keyboard stores all the stickers of a user together for easy accessibility across iOS.
The new Messages features improve the way that users communicate. A menu that expands and is accessible with one tap to open iMessage applications gives messages more sleek and modern. Search becomes more powerful and precise thanks to filters for searching, making the possibility for people to begin with a search, and then add filters to narrow down the results to find precisely what they’re looking for. A catch-up arrow that is new indicates where the user left on the conversation and responding inline is as easy as tapping on the text bubble. If the user is sharing their address, it will be updated immediately in the conversation. If you send an audio message the message is automatically transcribing to allow users to listen to it immediately or later on.
Messages also offers Check In, a crucial feature that is useful when a user wishes to inform family members or friends that they’ve reached their destination in a safe manner. When a user starts the Check-In, their family member or friend will be automatically notified when the user reaches. If they’re not progressing towards their destination, important information will be shared with the chosen contact including the location of the device, its battery status, and service status. All information shared is secured.
Easy Sharing via AirDrop and NameDrop
AirDrop allows users to send a file to your colleague or send pictures to a friend in a matter of seconds and, with iOS 17, AirDrop offers new ways to share. NameDrop lets users easily share contact information simply by connecting their iPhones, or bringing the iPhone as well as an Apple Watch together. 1 By using the same gesture, users can also share content and begin SharePlay to listen to music, watch a film or play a game when they are in close proximity between iPhone devices.
Improved Autocorrect and Dictation Provide More Intelligent Input
Autocorrect is updated that includes a transformer model, which is a cutting-edge machine-learning language model that runs on the device to predict words — increasing the user quality and speed of users each when they write. The software also gets a new design that is more suited to typing and sentence-level autocorrections that can correct a variety of grammar errors. Users now get predictive text suggestions inline while they type. Adding whole sentences or words is as simple as pressing on the spacebar, which makes typing faster than ever. Dictation is based on a brand new speech recognition algorithm to make it more precise.
StandBy Displays Information in a Glance While the iPhone Charges
iOS 17 introduces StandBy, offering users a full-screen experience with a user-friendly interface that can be seen from a distance while the iPhone is placed on its side and charging. StandBy is ideal for the nightstand or kitchen counter desk. It can be customized to show various beautiful designs, photos of your favorite or widgets, such as Smart Stacks, which surface the appropriate widgets at the appropriate time. Support for live activities and Siri, as well as incoming calls, and more extensive notification, StandBy makes iPhone even more effective when it is viewed from the distance. When charging using MagSafe, StandBy remembers a user’s preferred display. It’s easy to set up StandBy any time by pressing the screen. On iPhone 14 Pro with the Always-On display, it’s always accessible.
- Full-screen StandBy experience is displayed in the iPhone 14 Pro set on the nightstand of a user’s.
- The experience is available in iOS 17.1 on iPhone 14 Pro, the StandBy experience showcases a group of friends who are posing.
- The experience is available in iOS 17.1 on iPhone 14 Pro, the StandBy experience displays the calendar and a clock view.
- The feature is available in iOS 17.1 on iPhone 14 Pro, the StandBy experience plays a song called “All I Want” from LP Giobbi performing.
- With iOS 17.1 on iPhone 14 Pro, the StandBy experience displays the weather conditions in Sonoma, California.
A New Approach to Appreciate the moments of your life with Journal
Journal is a brand new app that assists iPhone users to reflect and write gratitude in journals that has been proven to boost wellbeing. By using machine learning on the device personalized suggestions are made available to inspire users’ journal entry. The suggestions are curated intelligently from the most recent activities, such as photos of people, places exercise routines, and so on which makes it simple to begin a journal entry. Scheduled notifications will help you develop an habit of journaling. With the option to secure the app and the use of on-device processing, and an end-to-end encryption, Journal is built to ensure privacy of the user and ensure that no oneeven Apple could access the user’s journal entries. Through the Journaling Suggestions API, app developers can now choose to include journaling suggestions in their applications. 2
Additional features of iOS 17 include:
- Safari : It provides more security for private Browsing as well as from tracking devices as the user browses and also from those who have access to the device of the user. Advanced fingerprint and tracking protections are even more effective to stop websites from tracking or the device of a user. Private browsing now is locked when it is not in use, permitting users to access their browser even when they are off the gadget.
- To make it easier and safer to use password and passkeysharing users can share passwords with a set that is comprised of trustworthy contacts. Anyone in the group is able to modify and add passwords to ensure they are up to current. Because sharing happens through iCloud Keychain It’s completely secured.
- The Health app is a new application that offers mental health tools. Users can track their moods, daily and even momentary moods; discover what could be affecting their mood and access anxiety and depression assessments commonly used in clinics and resources within their area. In addition, increasing the distance that the device is seen from may help children reduce the risk of developing myopia, and also gives adults the chance to decrease the strain on their eyes caused by digital technology. The screen distance in Screen Time utilizes an TrueDepth camera to prompt people to take their devices further away from their face after holding it for more than 12 inches away from their face for a long duration of time.
- Maps includes offline maps, which allows users to download a particular area, access turn-by-turn navigation, view their estimated arrival time and locate places on Maps, and much more offline. Maps makes it easier than ever before to explore hundreds of trails within parks throughout all across the United States, and supports electric vehicle drivers by providing live charging information in real-time.
- AirTag can be shared with five or more people which allows family and friends to track the item’s location in Find My. All members of a Group will have the ability to track the location of an item and hear a sound and utilize Precision Finding to help pinpoint the exact location of an AirTag whenever it is near. It also works with other Find My network devices.
- Apple Musicintroduces collaborative Playlists that allow you to listen to music with your friends more enjoyable than ever before. SharePlay in cars allows everyone to contribute to the music being played. 3 Listeners can control the music on their personal devices even if they don’t possess access to an Apple Music membership.
- Sharing content with AirPlay is made simpler with the help of on-device intelligence understanding the preferences of a user. AirPlay can also be used with hotels’ TVs that are supported and allows users to watch their preferred television shows while traveling. Based on a solid base of security and privacy the feature will be available by the close of the year in selected hotels, beginning with the brands of IHG Hotels & Resorts.
- AirPods come with a range of powerful new features, such as Adaptive Audio Personalised Volume, Adaptive Audio, and Conversation Awareness which transform the audio experience for users. Additionally enhancements to automatic Switching and call control help make AirPods more user-friendly.
- Home app is a great way to connect with your home. Home app allows to allow users to see as long as 30 days worth of the history of activity across garage doors, door locks alarm systems, as well as contact sensors. In addition, two of the most popular HomeKit locks features- tapping for unlocking and pin codes -are now available on Matter-compatible locks, giving additional ways to connect your home.
- Remindersfeatures an grocery list that automatically categorizes items added to categories that make shopping more convenient. Users can alter the way items are organized and the list will remember the items they prefer to be in.
- Visual Look-Up is now available as paused video frames. Users can now identify food items stores, storefronts, signs and other symbols, as well as remove specific subjects from images and videos.
- Sirican be activated by using “Siri.” Once the assistant is activated users are able to issue multiple commands at a time without having to restart the assistant.
- Within Photos The People album makes use of machine learning to identify more pictures of the user’s most loved people and pets, including dogs and cats.
- Privacy updates will include the expansion of communication Safety beyond Messages to help ensure that children are safe when sending and receiving content through AirDrop or Contact Posters or the use of a FaceTime message, or when using the Photos selector to choose what to send. The update also covers videos in addition to still images. A brand new option, Sensitive Content Warning, assists users of a mature age to avoid seeing inappropriate nude videos and images. Similar to Communication Safety, all image and video processing required for Sensitive Content Warning occurs on-device and not on the device, which means that Apple is not granted access to the contents.
- Accessibility Updates include assistive Access an interface that can be customized that lets people who have cognitive disabilities use the iPhone more easily and with greater autonomy; Live Speech, which allows non-speakers to type and hear their words read out in person, as well as on phone or FaceTime phone calls. Personal Voice, which allows users who are who are at risk of losing their speech the possibility of creating an audio that sounds similar to their own; and Point and Speak, which assists blind users or have poor vision read the text on objects with making a point.
- The Health app asks users of an iPhone 14 Pro user to select how they feel right today.
- A iPhone 14 Pro user is asked to download a particular region within Maps to enable navigation features and additional features without internet access.
- A playlist that is collaboratively titled Game Night is shown on iPhone 14 Pro in Apple Music.
- In the case of iPhone 14 Pro, a user is asked to use a QR-code in order to connect with Wi-Fi AirPlay as well as other.
- A Sensitive Content Warning feature alerts users of an iPhone 14 Pro user that the content they’ve received may be sensitive, and asks “Are you certain you’re allowed to see it?”
The developer beta version of iOS 17 is available to Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting from 5 June 2023 while a public beta will be released in the coming months at beta.apple.com. The new features in the software are expected to be available in the autumn as a free software update for iPhone Xs and newer. For more information, visit apple.com/in/ios/ios-17-preview. The features are subject to change. Certain features might not work in all areas and in all languages across all devices. For more information on availability go to apple.com/in.